Saturday, March 29, 2014

Frante: The Supermarket

Out here, every time I give something a shot for the first time, it feels like an out of body experience.  I feel like I'm watching myself in this almost dreamlike limbo scenario. 

I rode my bike to Frante today.  I was scared to death to do it, but I'm scared to death to do anything for the first time when it comes to being out here.  I think I'm just getting better at kicking my butt out the door.

Anyway.  I didn't recognize half of what I bought.  But I did see a few things at the store that...gasp...they sell in America.  Of course, they were super small and super expensive, so I steered clear. 

My main reason for going to the supermarket instead of the drugstore was the produce and meat.  I figured out the produce wonderfully, though it was funny at times.  I saw celery stalks for sale (normal), and a celery stalk for sale (abnormal). As in, separated sticks of celery, in their own little plastic bags.  And little 3 packs of asparagus too.  Who only eats 3 sticks of asparagus??? What a strange moment.

I failed miserably in the meat dept.  partly due to over stimulation, being the only foreigner in a packed store, and it being my first time there all by me-self.  So...I got some eggs again (not hard to pick those out.)

Here are some things that ended up in my basket.


Half a carrot.  This (and daikon) are the biggest veggies they sell.  I cannot find smaller carrots.  Luckily they get sold in packs of three.

Soooo.....from the top, I almost feel like a bird killer.  Those little eggs were sold right next to the normal eggs....I couldn't help it.  I'm going to have a few interesting breakfasts with those suckers.  I wonder if they even taste the same.
I grabbed some yogurt.  Being a spawn of Pop, I decided to grab a strange fruit flavor.  Plum.
I got some face masks, for if I get sick.  I would be mortified if I woke up sick one morning and wasn't prepared with one of those.
Oh.  And apples are sold in little plastic packs of 4.  Cute.

I got something that COULD be a potential pesto pack.
...aaaand then I got something that looks like the innards on one of the Ripley Alien movies.  Dunno when I'll make them, but rest assured I shall.
Label Pronounciations: Bajiru???  and Ikasumi So-su(Sauce)

Sorry, bright.  The guy on the left is tomato sauce.  Which makes me wonder what the middle guy is (I bought that yesterday at the drugstore thinking THAT was tomato sauce)
And then I found some Painapuru Slices.
Label pronounciations: Tomato & Bajiru, Tomato So-su, Painapuru suraisu
...what the heck does bajiru mean.

I passed a few things that baffled my mind to no end.  Well...not the pretzel one.  They have choc covered pretzel sticks it seems.  yay!  And then that middle one says Choko anban.  It looks like potential chocolate in the middle of teeny little rolls or something.  Ha, the cook is wearing a bourbon chef hat.  And then that last one???? I think it's a blueberry sandwich of some sort.  No peanut butter, no crust....maybe a blueberry pie?  NO IDEA.

 Got some sushi.  I've already eaten all but 2 pieces.  Is it fate that I am stuffed, and I haven't touched the fish eggs yet?


Anywho.....loooooong day.

Oh.  I got an audiobook project YAY!  It's a book about recognizing what career path is good for what personality type.  You know, I've been convinced for about a year now that God communicates to me through what I get sent in audiobook projects.  I imagine him saying "So Alyssa...you're not going to come to church?  Well then I'm going to send some stuff home to you.  Take that."

1 comment: