Saturday, June 7, 2014

Bargain Hunting, Restless Pigeon Hoards, and of course....New Food Adventures.

I swear, I've been here for almost 3 months and I still have SO MUCH STUFF I haven't done. But luckily, I'm doing as much as I possibly can.

I got to chat with Mom and Pop this morning, that was nice.  Hadn't gotten to do that in a while.  I hear my mom is a skinny foxy lady now. GO MOM!  (Yet at the same time, her weight lose is motivating me to get my rear in gear as well. Blast Mom and Sarah.)

I met Jakka at Kamimaezu station around 11.  Kamimaezu has lots of little stores all lined up and oh my GOSH it was hard not to buy everything.  We even found a store I have personally labeled as the Morbid Disney Store.  There was a shirt of the snow white queen doing crack ha ha ha ha!!! They had some awesome stuff though.  The sunglasses were awesome.  I keep finding things that would be hilarious white elephant gifts.  If anyone needs a white elephant gift, give my parents money and I'll send you one.

We tried lots of snacks I'd never had before, like Bacon wrapped around rice on a stick.  Here's a picture of what it looks like.
 Ms Jakka let me try a bite of hers.  I'm not a big fan of bacon, but it was good.


 She pointed out a little food place that she said was good, so we said what the heck and got a snack there too. I call them mega gyoza potstickers. The closed one below covers my entire palm.  Their big.  And you have to be careful while you eat them, because they have broth inside as well.  Delicious!

While Jakka was eating her bacon rice stick, I got some 玉せん, Which is a huge shrimp wafer with sauce, some strange herbs, and egg.  It was soooo good.

We then went shopping. I may have found a way to "have a phone".  That's the only way I know how to put it.  I'll have multiple ways of contacting and being contacted, as well as the internet, all without having a regular phone line or phone contract. We'll see if it works out.
We saw all sorts of shops.  I tell you, if I had the money for it, I would go broke there.  We went into one of those.......well dang I don't know what kind of shop they call it.  I was planning on putting up a photo of the store, but I've changed my mind.  I'm going to buy something from the shop and surprise people with it.  Well, that is, next time I see them in person. I'll give you a one word hint: Lolita.  Anywho. other stores....we went into the pinkest of pink stores, with barbie everything, hello kitty, barbie chandeliers, it was INSANE.  I found a place with these huge mario hats, hilarious. Jakka has a picture of me wearing one.   I'd buy one and send it back if it wasn't so big lol.

The entryway  reminded me of the shopping street in Kyoto.


Anywho, we found another place that Jakka said was delicious, so we tried it.  The food's called "KappuOmuRaisu"  It's multiple layers of rice and omelette.  You could pick various sauces to put on top.  I had curry.  good stuff.

After that we found ourselves out of Kamimaezu and on the Osu Kannon grounds. This is the largest most well known temple in Nagoya.

 Here's a different view we noticed.  There were tons of pigeons. They were walking all over my shoes, it was crazy. 

 After Osu Kannon, we went to Sakae and went shopping there. We found the holy grail of media stores, where I bought a Japanese copy of the Taming of the Shrew.  It's good practice.  Every floor of the store sold something different.  I found some shirts with funny phrases on them



 And man...the prices.  Shirts for $4, pants for $10....it was heaven. I didn't go crazy buying stuff though.  I have to save my money for the next 2 months.
After shopping we went and ate at an Udon restaurant.   Here's the view from our table.  We were a block away from the first night we all went out and karaoke'd.  Fun stuff.  That building right there is a freakin Tiffany & Co.  There's a ton more expensive stuff here than cheap stuff, sadly.

I had a yummy summer Udon Salad.

I forgot the name of what Jakka had.  It begins with a K....but she also had rice, curry, and pickles

After Jakka and I parted ways, I took the train home to Akaike, where Ms. Mihoko was just arriving to pick me up.  Yesterday she told me she was going to a good priced grocery store that's far away, and she invited me to come.  So she, Ms. Julpha, and I went to the store.  There's so much fun stuff, I wish I could mail it back to you guys, but most of it would melt or spoil I'm sure.  It's all super fresh and super cheap.  I got a new source of protein too. Ms. Mihoko pointed it out to me.  I'd seen it at other stores and thought it was shredded fish.


 Nope.  They were TEENY little fish.  Well...I bought them.  I'll see how that goes soon enough.

 On our way home we were chatting it up when suddenly Ms. Mihoko said, "Look! Shiwarabimochi!  Have you ever had that?"
Nope.  I'd seen things like it in stores, but I'd never tried it. Ms. Mihoko says it's a summer treat that travels around neighborhoods like ice cream trucks do in America. The guy serving it was slightly...dull witted in the head, he played silly little jokes that were driving Ms. Mihoko and I crazy, but in the end we got our Shiwarabimochi. It was good!  It's mochi coated in soy bean sugar. 

Just when I think I've tried the majority of food in Japan, I get this huge "Nope...you haven't."  Luckily it's all been delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment