Sunday, January 18, 2015

8 hours at the gym

Minori has been an exercise freak in preparation for her wedding in April. She goes to the gym as much as possible, and was able to get me a discounted visitor pass, so I figured why not. All I knew for certain was that it would be on a weekend, and it would be all day. She goes every weekend all day long. Crazily dedicated.

We started off the day with an aerobics class. Pretty normal stuff, and I was ecstatic over understanding most of what the instructor said (body parts, directions, breathing in and out....etc). That was awesome.

After aerobics, we decided to go on a whim and take a class Minori had never taken before. She said it was some sort of Chinese martial arts class, which I said yes to immediately. I wondered how hard it would be, since the instructor was like 70.

I kid you not, she was dressed very close to this kind of thing.



The beginning was slow, so we could learn to moves. Suitaaaaa.....haitaaaaaa( inhale exhale). The first half was very "feel the chi" Ben Stiller-ish.


I kept waiting for the "repulse the monkey" move to show up ha ha ha. After we learned the moves, Minori translated that we were going to go faster. Well...we did. Any grace that I'd had, disappeared. After doing the moves quickly, we got thrown another surprise. Everyone went to their bags and took out these huge blue/red fans. Everyone except us newbies of course. We got to use some cardboard cylinders. All those moves we'd learned turned out to revolve around the movement of a fan. So we all went at it again, with fans flicking open and shut loudly. It was awesome!


After yoga we went swimming. After swimming, we jumped in the jacuzzi and got some massages. They had separate stations where the jets were positioned at specific parts of the body. Thighs, feet, lower back, shoulders…it was nice. Then we had lunch, and went right back to working out.

We ended up doing 3 more hour classes, and running for an hour. After running, Minori said we had one more high intensity martial arts class. I opted out for more running. I was already dying during the previous class. But every time I turned to check out the class she was doing, it looked insane. So I'll try it next week. Anyways. It was a different awesome experience! I still think it's a little crazy to work out for that long of a period, but she seems healthy and ok. Good for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment