Monday, October 13, 2014

Takarazuka at the Hilton!

We all have guilty pleasures.  Mine is Takarazuka. For those who I haven't told, Takarazuka is an extravagantly specialized musical theater company consisting of all females. What could be more fun than to get to be in musicals where you can choose between playing the male or female role. Takarazuka's been in business for 100 years exactly, with it's members split into 6 groups who travel back and forth, putting on plays. Most of the time these plays are stuffed with crazy costumes, cheesy happy songs, and dramatic story-telling.


Ms. Mihoko and I occasionally chat about Takarazuka, and through her various connections, she got tickets to a small concert by a former Top Star of Takarazuka's Star Troupe. We went to it today, it was at the Nagoya Hilton. I was a bundle of nerves, I was so excited.  It took everything for me to not freak out ha ha ha. I was biting both lips to keep my ridiculously huge smile hidden.

Anywho, Star Troupe has been my favorite group for a long time, and I was lucky enough to see Minakaze Mai sing and tell stories of her time in Takarazuka, back from 1979-1988. Takarazuka's been putting on some special shows this year, to celebrate the 100th year, so Minakaze Mai has been performing in some of those shows as well. She was a wonderful singer, and so sweet! 



It was an amazing experience, and it only made me more excited to find a time to get down to the Kansai area to see a full fledged Takarazuka show. I really want to see the current Star Troupe top stars, because they're my favorites and they'll be retiring next year. Takarazuka has some pretty extreme fans, so it will be difficult to get a ticket for the most popular troupe, especially now that the top stars are going to switch. Ms. Mihoko enjoyed it, and has invited me to a possible trip down to Takarazuka City soon!  AAAAHHHHH!!!! I might die of happiness.

Did I mention that the Hilton was gorgeous?  It was a beautiful spot for a concert like this. 


Another typhoon is making it's way up Japan, it's supposed to hit Nagoya hardest tonight. Everyone has been asked to stay indoors until tomorrow, because this one's supposed to be bigger than the past typhoons this year. I am skeptical, but the heavy winds are fun.  We'll see if all this hubbub is worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment