Friday, April 18, 2014

What have I learned in 4 weeks?

#1: I adapted to the food instantly. I love rice.  I was a fan of rice before I moved here, yes.  But now I LOVE it.  I could eat it breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack....all the time.  I love seaweed.  I love octopus. I even love the hamburgers, which is something I don't eat in the USA.  I've only had one dish that I wasn't a fan of.  It was pasta with Squid Ink sauce.  I can chew a raw octopus tentacle right off it's limb, but I cannot eat one more bite of pasta with Squid Ink.  I guess I have limits after all lol.




#2: I think I am one of those amazingly blessed people when it comes to the co-workers I've gotten over the years. Japan is no different. My co-workers made me feel at home the minute I got here. I need to start buying them stuff, cause they are always giving me things, for no reason, just out of the niceness of their own hearts.  Ms. Mihoko is incredibly nice and down to earth.  And Ms. Minori knows I am working on learning the language, so she brought tons of books to school to see if I wanted them for practice.  It's not a job I dread waking up for, I can tell you that.

#3: The kids are adorable.  Every single kid at that school is ADORABLE.  And they LISTEN TO ME NOW!!!! Cute. Kids.

 #4: The driving disorients me. STILL. I still am not used to looking right first and then left. I have this feeling in the back of my head that I'm looking the wrong way and that I'm going to get hit by a car.


#5: I eat healthier.  Well...mostly. My breakfast, lunch, and dinner are 100% amazingly healthy and delicious!!!  But there are snacks at school, and I need to stop randomly trying treats at the store.  And the Nutella Nobake Incident I had a few days ago....was pretty brutal.  Luckily, I'm not suffering American food withdrawals.  Trust me, I am treasuring every ounce of deliciousness that Sarah sent me in a package, but I shan't die from lack of tacos or pizza.

#6: I finally have time where I've been able to tell myself to slow down and read a book.  I'm reading Bill Bryson's "A Short History on Nearly Everything".  I'm 100 pages in, and I've never read a more mind-blowing book.  It's a very interesting read!






No comments:

Post a Comment