Thursday, July 10, 2014

Bentos

Here is a typical lunch day at school. I don't have my normal bento (yes I have one) because today, it's a long story why, Minori made me a bento.

Around half the class gets school lunch, which a food van drops off every day. That's the blue container. This student always gets a school lunch and home lunch. The school lunch usually comes with rice, veggies like seaweed, pumpkin, potato, carrot, spinach, corn, onion....it's different everyday. They sometimes get a roll instead of rice, and on those days I never have to worry about slow eaters lol. They also get a little bit of meat, and a bite's worth of jello or fruit at the end. This student's home lunch has some rice, apple, Camembert, and some pancake. He is a normal weight, he just has a big appetite. And he wats at a normal pace, but because he has two lunches, he and I are racing everyday to finish. 

About half the students use chopsticks daily. 3year olds, let me remind you. The other half either don't have them packed, or their bites are too small, so they have to use their forks. Man I wish I could talk about the kids individually, they are cute and hilarious. This girl has mellon, rice, baby tomato, egg, onion, and spinach. 

If I let the kids eat at their own pace, only three or so would finish on time. So since we have a schedule I have two tactics I use to speed them up. One is I have them seated so that the kids who get distracted, take minuscule bites, or chew super slowly, sit by me so I can say things like "chew chew chew! Finish chewing in fiiiive foooouuuur, threeeee, twooooo, oooonnnneeee and take a drink!! Big bite! You can do it! Way to go _____, ok oi!"
This student has kiwi, mandarin oranges, rice, egg, broc, tomato, fish and meatball.

My other method to speed them up is by rewarding the first three finishers a big smiley drawn on their hand. This results in most lunchtimes being filled with shouts like "(they say their name) numbah one!" "No, _____ number one!" "Ms Alyssa looka paleese!(shovels a Wayyyy too big of a bite into their mouth)" "Ms Alyssa, finish!"  
This one is my special Minori bento! Edamame, amazing potato salad, egg, sausage, rice, string cheese so good it makes American string cheese taste fake, and not pictured are more Sumomo plums. It was delicious.


It was jaw dropping to see the see variety of healthy foods the kids eat. Not only that but their manners are impeccable. Of they drop some food, they'll say may I get a tissue, and go throw it away. They will eat whatever their mom packed, whether they like it or not. I've had glares while I watched kids munching food I knew they weren't fans of. They frown, but they eat it without me having to ask.
This one has grapes ( which most people here peel as they eat.), rice, egg, broc, sausage, pickled plum, meatball, daikon

YAy I got one with a jelly shot! Jello is huge here, and it's called jelly. It's the dark circle under the orange. The kids love them, and adults have different versions they buy for themselves. They get given as gifts all the time. 
This one has some rice balls, meatballs, jelly, tomato, and an orange.



Anyways isn't it cool how healthy it all is? Trust me there is plenty of junk food one can buy, as my family is about to find out in a few days, but here at school everyone has a healthy lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment