Friday, July 11, 2014

Peaches, Figs, Porridge, and Curry

BI hadn't planned on doing much tonight since I work Saturdays, but things just happened.

And when it rains, it pours.

Yesterday I found a perfect jogging route through some rice paddies. And since Minori and I jog on Fridays, that's where I suggested we jog. Right when we got to the center do the pAddy area, Minori found a sign indicating peaches for sale. We decided to take that route, and wound up at a beautiful farm.




Right next to the peaches was a fig orchard which was really cool! 


Eventually I'll go back when there is more produce.
When we jogged back into the city, we passed some girls in marching shirts. Minori told me that they were factory workers on their way home. The more she described their living circumstances, the more I thought about a documentary I'd seen called china blue, a documentary about blue jeans factory workers. Go watch it. It was quite the eye opener to realize how close I lived to such a different way of life!

On the way home, Minori invited me over again, which I gladly accepted. We had some yummy rice porridge, some radishes, Japanese curry , potato salad, cucumbers, and salmon. I've asked Minori to check and see if her mom would be interested in giving me cooking lessons. She is amazing!

After dinner, Minori's mom showed me how she makes her nendo art, and Minori showed me her new Yukata. Minori looks gorgeous in it! At that point they invited me to try on some yukatas. I got to try on a pale blue one that her mother used to wear, a bright green one they bought in an Indian based Yukata shop, Minori's new one, and a beautiful pink kimono. We were just having fun and playing around at that point! 



By now it was pretty late, so we were going to turn in. Before we did though, Minori wanted to make sure I had a lunch ready for tomorrow, despite my protests. She showed me some speedy bento secrets, and taught me how to make an egg roll! It's a Japanese egg roll so I'll have to post a picture at some point. Anyways went to bed after that. Tetsu followed me up and settled down with me for the night :)


No comments:

Post a Comment