Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Fireworks



There were lots of food stalls. I tried a super long cucumber and some Hiroshima-yaki. Lots of cabbage in there.


Then we went through the crowds to find a spot for fireworks. There were people who'd brought their dining room tables and full fledged meals out there, what a fantastic idea!


We found a spot to stand, but after ten minutes, a family on one of the tarps came over and said,"Americanjin?" And then we got invited to sit on their tarp! They had arrived at six am to reserve their spot, so we were really lucky to get to sit! I hadn't realized how many gifts I've gotten here just because I'm American. Anyway!



Jaw-dropping awesomeness. At first they were doing these small ones one by one, which made me think it wa going to be lame, but then Minori told me that the first part of the show was a memorial to those who died in the river that year. After that...boom!

By halftime I was telling Minori to never visit America during the fourth of July because fireworks in America suck compared to what I was watching just then. Best fireworks I've ever seen!


I was planning on uploading some videos but apparently I any from my iPod. So...here is a bad photo of something I was calling "the mushroom" all night. It's a raised botanical garden. It was on the far side of the lake. I'd never seen one before so I kept pointing it out. At first I'd thought it was a UFO lol


Fireworks had four stages. The memorial stage, three Stages of fireworks, and some fireworks sent up by sponsors. After the show we made our way home through the crowd. Yukatas everywhere!

Because I was already stuffed with Hiroshima-yaki, I passed on the giant squid. But there's another festival tonight, so I'll try it then!!




1 comment:

  1. Wow, that looks so flippin cool. I bet it was even more amazing to watch. Ahhhh jealous!!! We won't see any fireworks for a few years haha

    ReplyDelete